Our Church History
By the year 1885, church membership had grown to 190, the minister's salary had increased to $800/yr., and a Sabbath School with a membership of 175 came to be connected with the church.
First Baptist Church Pastors from 1886-1901:
Rev. J.L. McCutchenon, Summer 1886
Rev. J. H. Hollingworth, May 1887 - Oct 1888
Rev. S.A. Smith, Nov 1888 - Feb 1890
Rev. J.A. Maxwell, May 1890 - Jan 1892
Rev. J.D. Simmons, May 1892 - Jan 1901
Then in March of 1901, Rev. J.D. Crumley came to pastor the church, bringing with him many changes.
After nearly 15 years of pastoring the church, Rev. Davidson accepted a call to Pomeroy, OH. From November 6, 1880 to May 21, 1881 Rev. E.J. Willis, President of the Female College at Clarksburg (now Alderson-Broaddus College of Phillippi), preached once a week.
At the end of that time, Rev. T. J. Robertson came to pastor First Baptist Church. Charles White's residence on Washington St. was purchased as a parsonage for $1,800 in September of 1882.