Our Church History
In 1902, with Rev. J.D. Crumley as pastor, the church was remodeled with improvements including a new front and a baptismal pool. On December 7, 1902, Dr. Furman H. Martin of Salem, preached the dedicatory service on the subject “The Elements of Church Strengh.” The sum of $9,000 was raised and the church’s debt liquidated. The WV Baptist Convention (then called the "General Association") met in the church this same year. Rev. Crumley last preached in December 1903.
First Baptist Church, New facade
Rev. C.L. Travis, 1909
Crumley was followed by Grafton Baptist Church's 11th pastor, Rev. Charles L. Travis who served from March 1904 to August 1, 1909. Miss Elsie Ringler was baptized on New Year's Eve, 1905.
Taylor County Main Street, Early 1900's
Baraca Bible Class of FBC of Grafton, 1909
(original hangs in Church Library)
In February 1910, FBC of Grafton accepted Rev. Leland J. Powell as Pastor and, over the next five years, experienced major renovations to the church building.
By 1911 rooms had been added on the rear of the church structure to accommodate the fast growing primary and junior departments, as well as the Ladies Aid Society.
Church in 1911, after addition on back and steps